75 min Difficulty
For the dough:
- one and half teaspoon of sugar
- half teaspoon of salt
- 4 oz. of cold unsalted butter
- one and a quarter cups of flour
- one egg
- some ice
For filling and topping:
- one teaspoon of vanilla extract
- some salt
- three large eggs
- one large coconut
- one cup of whole milk
- one cup of dark brown sugar
- wo cups of white sugar
- To make the cake dough: prepare a medium-sized glass with ice and add cold water until completely covered. We reserved it in the refrigerator.
- In a kitchen robot, incorporate the flour, salt and sugar and mix well. Add the butter to the mixture that we are preparing and mix until only pieces of a couple of millimeters remain. Add four tablespoons of cold water, stirring gradually, until all is set.
- Put the dough into a large piece of kitchen plastic in the shape of a 1-inch thick disc. Allow to cool for at least 1 hour or up to 1 day.
- Turn the oven to 370 degrees of temperature and place a baking rack in the center. Arrange the dough into a 1/8 inch thick circular shape, and place the dough on a 9-inch pie pan. Press dough against sides of tray, and trim any excess with scissors. Now press the edges with a fork and bring the cake tray to the refrigerator.
- Let's see how the cake stuffing is prepared: put a container to cook over high heat and add coconut, brown and white sugar, eggs, milk and a little salt. Cook the mixture for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the vanilla and remove the bowl from the heat. Put the cake on a baking sheet and incorporate the coconut mixture.
- In a small bowl, mix the egg with a tablespoon of water. With a brush, "paint" the edges of the dough with the egg mixture. Now put in the oven until the filling rises and the crust has a golden color (about 40 minutes).
- Put the cake on a cooling rack. Allow to cool for at least 20 minutes, but ideally overnight, before serving.
Did you like this recipe?